Our organic quinoa and brown rice blend is the secret ingredient that makes these turkey meatballs so incredibly mouthwatering. When you cover them with a tomato sauce that tastes like the kind mama made, you have a dinner that’s totally delizioso.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cayenne pepper
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil 3 minutes.
Stir in remaining sauce ingredients; heat to boiling.
Simmer covered 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover; crush tomatoes with potato masher or large spoon.
Simmer uncovered 10 to 15 minutes longer until thickened.
Meanwhile, line broiler pan with foil; spray broiler rack with cooking spray.
Combine all meatball ingredients in large bowl.
Shape into 1-inch balls. Place meatballs on broiler rack.
Turn oven to broil. Broil meatballs 4 to 5 inches from heat 7 to 9 minutes, turning once, until browned and internal temperature reaches 160°F. Stir meatballs into sauce.
Tip: Jarred pasta sauce can be substituted for the homemade sauce described here.